As we care about our bodies by dieting and doing exercise, the mind also needs some care to enjoy good mental health. This care acts the same way as the scarf we wear to prevent a cold or the vitamins we take to feel better; it protects us from future problems.
The goal of taking care about oneself is welfare and happiness. It is to treat yourself just the same way you take care of a baby: gently, lovingly and being sympathetic.
Here are five simple keys that, in my opinion, improve personal wellbeing acting as a vaccine against possible psychological problems:
1. Having a notebook to write down three things every day for which that day has being worthwhile. They don’t have to be big issues, but those little things that make you feel better. A nice hot shower, a coffee in the morning, looking at a stranger, talking with a friend, laughing at a funny tv scene, cooking the dinner, enjoying a good book, hearing the song you love on the radio…
2. Talking to oneself kindly. As the language creates reality, we should not underestimate the power of words. During the day unfortunate things can happen to us: we drop the food we had been preparing for hours, we forget to buy something we needed, we break something … and the reaction of most people is usually “I am a disaster! “,” I get it all wrong “… All these thoughts are negative views about us and these will cause some negative emotions with the consequent discomfort. What we really should do is strive to change the language to a more positive negative: “Well I’ve had this problem, but it is not disastrous“, “It can happen to anyone,” “It’s normal to make a mistake” … If the language becomes positive, the emotions that arise will also be positive.
3. Living the present. The past and the future are two states that can only be remembered or anticipated. But what we truly live is the present, and it is where we can exercise our power. It is difficult to be aware of the present moment in this society where while we take a shower we are thinking how will your job, what will, how will the new moon cast or where the next curriculum …
The best way to live the present is paying attention to ourselves and being aware of what we do and what we feel. For example, if you take a to take a shower, you will have to watch how the water is, how it falls on your skin, how is the temperature, what makes you feel …
4. Writing 10 good things about yourself as a checklist and keep it to read them often. It may cost a little at the beginning, but 10 is a minimum that anyone should strive to find.
5. Just as you have a closet full of clothes to put as desired, each person should have a closet full of phrases or positive words towards oneself to use when appropriate because these messages of encouragement are what truly comforte us.
It would be like creating an own personal mantra. But what is a mantra? “A mantra refers to a syllables, words or phrases that are repeated as support for meditation. Mantras are resources to protect our minds against the unproductive cycle of thought and action. Mantras serve to focus and quiet the mind ”
The best to create a phrase which acts as mantra is to think of things we would say to cheer ourselves. For example: “I am a person who deserves to succeed”, “My attitude is positive,” “I feel great,” “I am happy”, “I am strong” … But we can also borrow sentences from movies, books and advertisements.
One of my favorite lines belonging to a movie called The Exotic Marigold Hotel reads: “In the end everything will work out and if not is not the end”